Recently I switched over from Irssi to using WeeChat. Mostly because I was tired of not having an user list on the side of my connections with out having some extra scripts to do that. set up went fine followed the steps on ZNC’s webpage as I run my own bouncer on there as when I’m at home I connect using Konversation. added my networks just fine though one of them didn’t have a channel i needed so i had to remove it deleted it from znc however i could not figure out how to remove it from WeeChat several hours of googleing later still no answer so if this helps someone out here’s how to remove a network:
- cd to ~/.weechat
- open irc.conf in an editor
- scroll down to the network you are trying to remove from auto-connect
- delete all lines that contain the networks name
- save the file
next time you open WeeChat you should no longer connect to that network.
So the other day I was setting up xRDP on my RHEL server in the lab at work the first part went well, after adding the repo to my server and running yum. If you’ve never set that up before here’s a guide on how to do that. Though after that was where I started running into a lot of shall we say “fun”… from my work system running windows 10 I popped open mstsc connected to the server, and time out. Okay I forgot to start things as the guide only tells you to start the xrdp service. No problem back to SSH, run vncserver set an access password and note the display it’s using.
Back to mstsc, hey I can log in now… or not… failed to connect is the error in the xRDP status, as a test at this point I attempted log in using a vnc client black screen with some check boxes in the corner. Went back to SSH and dug through things found that I didn’t have a session enabled. In my
.Xsession file for vnc. Not a problem we’ll just dive down another rabbit hole as my end goal was to use MATE. So after enabling EPEL and getting mate installed I went into my
.Xsession file and added at the bottom
Great all done I can now use xRDP right? Nope. Still can’t connect after that same error failed to connect though looking through that window it’s connecting to 127.0.0.1:5910 my session is on 5901 or 5902 I forgot which at that point. Well I found a person on askubuntu having the same issue the answer there was to switch from tightvnc(in my case tigervnc) to vino and then alter the xRDP config… which I kind of did, I went into my
/etc/xrdp/xrdp.ini and looked through the config what they did was add a second session for vino, instead of using
sesman-Xvnc also note that the port for sesman-Xvnc is set to -1, what it is supposed to do is create a new session at 5910 or use the existing one if there is one.
Here’s what I did, I changed the port argument from -1 to 5901 as I’m more than likely will always have a session running on :1 though the better option that I found after doing this would be to change it to
ask5910 and then you can tell xRDP where the session is at yourself on login. I also added a connection to use vino instead of tigervnc, but sesman-Xvnc was good enough once I restarted both xRDP and vncserver, hope this helps someone fix their issues.
So last night I was trying to login to my admin page for this site and ran into a bit of a snag with my LastPass vault not syncing from my work system to my home one… has happened before and is normally not an issue worse case I just have to reset a password and keep rolling… or I’ve done the stupid thing of using a password I’ve used elsewhere. However WordPress auto generates a password that meets their complexity requirements and I’d used one similar to that generated in LastPass and of course I forgot it and hadn’t wrote it down expecting LastPass to have me covered. Ok no password there no problem we’ll just reset it and use a new password… So I go to the forgot password form and request a new one instant php error. mail() is not set up. Well I use office365 as my mail server which uses SMTP the only way to get that configured is via a plugin in wordpress it seems.
Except there was a way to get it fixed in my case. All that was really needed was sendmail to be set up which I hadn’t done yet, but to be on the safe side i went and checked in the mysql database to see if there was anything I could point at my email server sure enough in the Options table there was four fields that talked about mailserver after filling those in with the correct info I gave sending my password to me a try again…
same error mail() not configured or disabled by your admin.
Digging a little more I’m missing the modules. So using pear I installed mail, net_smtp, auth_sasl, and mail_mime and I also saw sendmail mentioned so I installed that using apt. once that was done I gave apache a restart (service apache2 restart or apachectl graceful) then I tried requesting a password again.
It worked, however it didn’t come from my email it came from firstname.lastname@example.org which I guess is fine my guess is I didn’t need to set the stuff in the database but, better safe to have it set and not need it I can always clear them back out.
so to fix this here’s the commands you would need
sudo apt install sendmail
sudo pear install mail
sudo pear install net_smtp
sudo pear install auth_sasl
sudo pear install mail_mime
sudo service apache2 restart or sudo apachectl graceful
after that you should be able to request a password reset
Just posting some new content on here as I’ve not touched this or my blogger in a very long time… that and I figured that old story about openID was kinda worn out by now…
As to openID not sure if I want to put it back into use as I know WordPress is a bit of a bigger target than blogger ever was when it comes to that kind of “fun”
nothing much to update however… if you are bored I’d say stop by my twitch channel sometime and just hang out. twitch.tv/mediamagnetgame
Yep still out there… yep still posting… yep that was everything.